Sunday, November 5, 2006

The Pearl River View


Our arrival at The White Swan Hotel was chaotic. We had months before signed up for a non-smoking room and when we arrived there was not a non-smoking room waiting for us. Our entire group was turned up side down with everyone trying to get situated. Most of us were put in smoking rooms even though we had specified not smoking. We were placed there with the promise that the next day we would be moved.

We walked through the beautiful lobby to the elevators and got off on the tenth floor. You could smell the stale odor. The room smelled. We had to just suck it up. Just like in school when your P.E. coach would say, "Walk it off! Walk it off!" so we walked it off. (Note: for all the hours of room juggling, checking out different smoking rooms to see how bad they were, and all the confusion, we were offered a complimentary fruit bowl and two drink tickets.)

It was a good thing we had brought an air freshener with us. It helped a little.

We walked into the room. It was an ok room. It seemed kind of small and cramped, and there wasn't much room for them to bring in a crib. The curtains were drawn shut. I walked over to open them and was awwwww struck when I saw the view!


It was like a scene from an old "Bogart movie, in a country where they turned back time!" I thought (since I'm the one with bad allergies) maybe I can take the smoke dingy room for the entire stay. After all life has its advantages and disadvantages. That night we slept with the drapes and sheers open, not wanting to miss a second of the past that lay just outside our window. I got up several times that night to gaze at the ancient passage that was there just waiting for me to enjoy.

Just knowing all that view is out there in the darkness and ready for me to appreciate at a moments glance is too much to ask for. Did I mention how fabulous the view was?


The next morning I told DaDa that I think we could try to rough it out, after all I couldn't believe what was just outside our window. DaDa was quick to tell me that I had been coughing and hacking in my sleep and it also wouldn't be a good clean place to have Kelly. Oh yeah, I have to think like a parent now. We took morning pictures from the large windows and gathered,
repacked, and repackaged our trusty air freshener for the porters to move us.

While DaDa went down to the front desk to see about our next room I took the opportunity to catch up on my journaling.

He left the TV on a channel that was playing American videos. As I sat there caressed by another far ancient time I heard in my background on the TV, Santana playing and singing, "My Home, My Home, My Home". It put a smile on my face. Who would have ever thought, I would be in China watching and listening to Carlos Santana!

The next video I recommend you watch. Here is the link (click to see)

It's OK GO and it's called "Here It Goes Again"

This video shows the four musicians on various treadmills set up next to each other in two rows butted closely next to each other. the choreography and coordination is superb! We have seen it back in the states on our computer and had to watch it in it's entirety three times in a row.

They exhibit suave strides and calm loose movement. I believe that best describes
this video's feel, and there is your video review FROM CHINA!

Journal entry: ...I sit here and write before I forget what has recently changed me and what my mind will feel is special enough to replay over and over...

Dada reviews Mama's journal.

No comments: