Monday, April 9, 2007

Some thoughts from DaDa

This past weekend was Easter weekend. The way the weather was, it seemed like Thanksgiving. In a way that was o.k., since we thank the Lord on Easter anyway.

When Easter morning dawned it was the coldest on record. Not just cold, but rainy too. It rained all weekend, with hail at times. All the outdoor Easter events were cancelled. So, for now, you'll just have to imagine Kelly in a cute dress on a lush lawn, basket in hand and bonnet on head.

A Cats In The Cradle moment...
First some background: This weekend I finally finished the flooring project. Before we went to China, we replaced the carpet in two bedrooms and a hallway with laminate flooring. This was to cut down on dust to reduce allergies in MaMa and Kelly. The trim and thresholds didn't get installed before the China trip, and completion of the project lingered for far too long.

So there I was, sitting cross-legged on the floor, facing the baseboard trim that was giving me fits. This entire project had become the proverbial albatross around my neck. I just wanted to get it done and crossed off the list. It seemed to fight us the whole way. Patience waning, I had literally worked my way into a corner. My elbow was about on my knee when Kelly wiggled her way through that opening, turned around and sat down on my lap, curious about what I was doing and wanting to help. The urge to finish the project made me want to move Kelly out of my way so I could continue.

Just then, some lyrics bubbled up from the memory:
When you coming home dad? I don't know when, but we'll get together then. We're gonna have a good time then.
So, instead of getting scooped up and deposited in another room, Kelly got a hug and a kiss. She soon lost interest and wandered off, returning occasionally to check on my progress.

Thank you, Harry Chapin, for reminding us about the important things. Thank you, God, for the gift of Jesus.

3 comments:

Christi and Abbey said...

Good for you! We have to stop and play with them, this time will go by so quickly.

k1 said...

Yea that she voluntarily crawled into your lap, and double yea that you didn't rebuff her.

I was a big Harry Chapin fan. I saw him in concert several times and was stunned at his untimely death. "Flowers Are Red" is one of my favorite songs he did.

Truly Blessed said...

Great story -- good for you Dad! I know it's tempting to try to dissuade the baby when you want to accomplish something, but you absolutely did the right thing. When I "pass off" one of the kids it seems like whatever I'm doing takes a wrong turn anyway, so I'd have been better off taking a little cuddle break (or whatever, with the big boys).

One day, Kelly will be off to Kindergarten (which is bad enough, but will soon be followed by ALL DAY school in 1st grade) -- it will go by so quickly. You'll never regret your time spent with her, but you might regret each time you chose not to spend time with her...

Good choice, Daddy!

Sorry your Easter wasn't "picture perfect" -- but that's okay, as you have all of those wonderful bluebonnet shots of her...

Happy Belated Easter -- Hallelujah, HE LIVES!